image1 image2 image3 image4

HELLO I'M MELYNDA SORRELS|WELCOME TO MY PERSONAL BLOG|I LOVE COFFEE|BOOKS|AND ALL THINGS FUNNY|THE MOST WASTED OF ALL DAYS IS ONE WITHOUT LAUGHTER - E.E. CUMMINGS

Quick Hygge Tutorial

Apparently hygge (pronounced hoo-gah) was one of the words of the year for 2016 and I missed it somehow. As random as it is, I’m not sure how this avoided my radar, but nonetheless, there it is. Hygge.


Hygge is a Danish concept that embraces all things happy, cozy, comforting, etc. From the best I can discern, hygge is cozy blankets, warm beverages, and fuzzy socks amongst a myriad of other happy things.

Oxford Dictionary describes hygge as: n. [mass noun] a quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture).

I may have never even noticed this quaint little phenomena had it not been for my mother…who is completely and utterly obsessed. 

In addition to filling her house with hygge-like things, there’s also a whole new language that has come into play.


Everything has a word now. EVERYTHING.

I’m writing this in my comfy pair of house pants. Hyggebusker.

Neko is snoring away in his cat bed. Hyggekrog.

Launie and I say to heck with the homework and decide to Netflix binge on the couch all weekend. Fredagshygge/Sendagshygge.

via GIPHY


Ok, Quick Recap:

Pretty cup of tea. Very hygge.

Food with faces staring creepily at me 
from display case.
 Not hygge at all.  Horrifying.

A pretty little box filled 
with candy. Soooo Hygge.






The actual contents of the box. 
It tasted like a combination of 
wax paper and compressed toothpaste. 
So not hygge.

Cozy Neko in his hyggekrog. 
The epitome of hygge.

Zoey knocking over her food dish and making a huge 
mess for Angelica to clean up. Not hygge. Just rude.



Spokane drivers. In snow. No chill and definitely no hygge.


Tonight I’ll be working on a massive backlog of homework, which isn’t very hygge, but the hot coffee, cozy kitty in his hyggekrog, and hyggebusker will make up for it some. 

How do you hygge?







Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment